Ten-year-old Ven. Bulathagama Siri Viboothi Thera at the Soysarama Rajamaha Viharaya in Katubedda, Moratuwa passed away after choking on a Rambuttan seed, Kalubovila Teaching Hospital Coroner Parinda Kotugoda yesterday said.
The Coroner delivered the verdict on the death of the Thera after considering the postmortem report by JMO of the Hospital K. B. J. R. Dayananda and the evidence.
The Thera just had passed only three years in the robe by the time he passed away around 3.30 am on Wednesday.
Mount Lavinia Police said that the Thera at the temple along with other monks had been consuming a rambutan when it stuck in the throat. The Rambuttan nut was removed by the doctors at the hospital. However, the Thera later passed away at the ICU of the Hospital.
The Teacher of the deceased Thera, Rajakeeya Panditha Ven. Dr. Dodampahala Siri Suguna Thera giving evidence said that the Thera was organising a ceremony in the temple along with several other Theras when the tragedy occurred. The Thera was rushed to the Kalubovila Teaching Hospital.
The father of the Thera, H. W. Wijekoon attached to the civil staff of the STF giving evidence at the inquest said that two out of his four children were ordained in the Buddhist order. Mother of the Thera, Gayani Udaya Kumari said that the Thera was the third of their children. The lay name of him was H. W. Dumindu Nimsara. He studied as a layman at Bulathgama Junior School in Balangoda. He exhibited his tendency towards Buddhism and entered the order three years ago, she said.