26.7 C
Wednesday, May 31, 2023

SINOPEC likely to enter Sri Lankan fuel market

Must read

Sinopec, the biggest petrochemical company in China, is likely to enter Sri Lankan market for fuel importing, distribution and selling petroleum products, informed sources said.

Cabinet of Ministers in June approved a proposal to allow more companies from oil-producing nations to import oil and start retail operations in Sri Lanka.

The proposal, prompted by severe foreign exchange shortage, was tabled by Power and Energy Minister Kanchana Wijesekera.

At present, 90 percent of Sri Lanka’s fuel supply is through the State-owned Ceylon Petroleum Corporation, and the remaining 10 percent by Lanka IOC.

Sinopec is already present at the Port of Hambantota where it operates an oil depot. The Hambantota tank farm was issued the FSS certification (Fitness for Service) by Lloyd’s Register in April 2020.

More articles

Latest article